Dos and Don’ts for Tourists
“We warmly welcome those who appreciate and enjoy our heritage, our way of life and who travel with respect.”
1. The Myanmar people are friendly, helpful and polite.
2. Respect the Myanmar people and their unique traditions.
3. Don’t take any photos that may make people feel embarassed.
4. Do Smile.
5. Don’t point with your foot.
6. Wear decent clothes when visiting religious sites.
7. Do tuck away your feet.
8. Don’t touch anyone on the head.
9. Please learn the basic words of Myanmar language.
10. Women travelers are very safe in Myanmar.
11.Don’t kiss in public.
12. Don’t disturb people praying or meditating.
13. Calling with your finger up means calling for a challenge.
14. Please learn the local customs before visiting ethnic minority villages.
15. Do try Myanmar traditional transport facilities.
16. Visitors should be understanding when experiencing electricity outages.
17. Don’t touch the robe of a monk.
18. Spread your wealth, use your money wisely.
19. Myanmar is a cultural destination.
20. Myanmar currency should be exchange at the official exchange counters and Banks./p>
21. If tourists wish to help the people of Myanmar, they should consider creative ways to contribute to communities, not to individuals.
22. Giving money or sweets to children is not advisable.
23. Myanmar people are delighted when tourists participate in their festivals.
24. Using drugs is illegal in Myanmar.
25. Help protect Myanmar wildlife by refusing to purchase wildlife products.
26. To maintain Myanmar’s unique heritage, do not buy antiques. Buy arts and crafts instead.
27. Help us keep Myanmar clean.
28. Practice safe sex.
29. Do not where you are advised not to go.
30. Relax and enjoy your holiday!